Four ingredients, no-bake, vegan and decadent
I dream about food a lot. You know… what’s for breakfast, what I’m going to make for lunch, snack one, two…three… and envisioning new flavour combos. Lately it’s been the soulmate duo peanut butter and chocolate. I mean, are there any two ingredients better suited for each other?! I think not.
And that’s why I devoted myself to creating a classic peanut butter cup enrobed in chocolatey goodness that’s refined sugar-free. Bonus: they’re also vegan, gluten free, dairy free and paleo.
Whole foods, baby. ‘Cause that’s what we’re all about!
These delicious miracles took some playing around with to get just the right texture and ratio of peanut butter-to-chocolate. They’re frozen and no-bake, meaning they’re easy to prepare and grab out of the freezer for a post-dinner snack.
With just four ingredients (five with salt), these are the perfect guilt-free treat packed with the superfood effects of coconut oil. They’re also simple to mix up by adding things like chia seed jam, coconut, nuts or granola to the top before freezing. Feel free to also use almond butter (or any nut butter) instead of PB.
Check out the recipe below and taste the goodness of the healthy Reese’s Cup combo for yourself!
Proof that dreams really do come true.
Recipe: Refined Sugar-Free Peanut Butter Cups
Ingredients (makes 6 peanut butter cups)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- Optional: pinch of coarse sea salt (recommended if your peanut butter is unsalted)
Peanut butter layer:
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter (crunchy or smooth, up to you!)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- Line muffin tin with six silicone baking cups (paper ones work, too)
- Add cocoa powder to medium bowl
- Whisk in coconut oil until smooth
- Add maple syrup to mixture and whisk until incorporated
- Pour 1 tbsp of the cocoa mixture into each prepared muffin cup
- Place tray in the freezer, lying flat, for 15 minutes
- While those are in the freezer, prepare the peanut butter layer. Measure peanut butter in a large measuring cup
- Add coconut oil to peanut butter and stir
- Once the 15 minutes are up, take tray out of the freezer and pour peanut butter mixture evenly over the frozen chocolate layers until there’s none left
- Place tray back in the freezer for 15 minutes
- Repeat Step 5 for the top layer with the rest of the cocoa mix
- If using, sprinkle coarse salt on top
- Place back in the freezer for remaining 15 minutes
- Remove from liners and enjoy!
Try these alongside unsweetened almond milk. Store in the freezer and pull one out whenever a sweet craving hits!