My mom, sister and I have wanted to embark on a girls’ getaway for a while now, so when we heard the Wanderlust Festival was coming to Mont Tremblant, we knew we had to go.
For wellness enthusiasts, this festival has it all – hiking, yoga, meditation, running, dancing, strength training and more.
After registering for it months ago, August seemed so far off. Alas, here we are just days away!
But before I start thinking about which tights, tanks and trainers to bring, I need to make sure my snack game is set. Between sessions in our weekend-packed schedule, having quick boosts of energy will be key to keeping us going to fully experience all it has to offer!
Enter: chocolatey, nutty, sweet and satiating pop-in-your-mouth protein bites
These aren’t the kind of snack you want to eat every day given the high fructose content of dates, but they’re a great source of fuel and recovery after a sweaty adventure. Plus, they’re easily portable – you can stash them in your knapsack or pocket for a post-hike boost.
These are also wonderful to make ahead of time and store in the freezer in an air-tight freezer bag or container to grab-and-go when you need them.
Feel free to try different nuts in place of almonds (cashews, walnuts) and experiment with flax seed instead of hemp. I used unsweetened whey protein powder but you can choose whatever powder of your choice, including plant-based.
Let me know how you like them and when you plan to eat this transportable treat!
I look forward to eating them after getting my ohm on this weekend. Namaste!
Recipe: Cocoa-Nutty Energy Bites
Makes about 15 tablespoon-sized bites
- 1 cup dates, softened
- ½ cup almonds
- 2 tbsp hemp hearts/seeds
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 scoop protein powder
- 3 teaspoons coconut oil
- unsweetened shredded coconut (for rolling in)
- Add whole almonds to food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Add dates (soak them in water or microwave until softened first) to food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add hemp seeds, cocoa powder and protein powder to processor bowl and continue to blend into a mixture, scraping down sides between processing.
- Add melted coconut oil and blend.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl.
- Scoop tablespoon-sized balls into your hands, roll into balls and then into coconut.
- Store in fridge for up to a week, or in the freezer for longer.