I am obsessed with reading about other peoples’ daily routines – it’s like a little glimpse into their lives and something I can learn from and allows me to reflect on my own habits.
That’s part of the reason I loved books like Laura Vanderkam’s What the Most Successful People Do Before Breakfast and the website MyMorningRoutine.com. They’re fascinating!
Of course, what works for one person may not work for another – we have to shape our routines and lives in ways that best suit our personality, goals, values, priorities and commitments.
I love routine and get easily thrown off when I don’t follow one (although vacations are an exception and my weekend routine follows a different schedule than my weekday mornings!) But every weekday, I try (key word!) to follow a standard routine that keeps me organized, healthy, and sane.
The Night Before
- Check the weather and get out my clothes for the next day (a habit my ultra-organized mom passed down to me!)
- Pack my lunch (usually leftovers) and fill the kettle for tea, leaving my mug on the counter
- Pack my bag for the next day – gym clothes, extra shoes, whatever I may need that day
- Prepare breakfast: usually oatmeal, oatmeal bake, smoothie, or eggs
- Get to bed on time! I recently started using iPhone’s bedtime alarm and it has been so helpful in ensuring I get my eight hours
- Read in bed
- Set my morning alarm and put my phone on Airplane Mode for overnight so I’m not disturbed by any incoming messages or calls and to keep the wifi signals out of the bedroom while we sleep.
The Morning Of
- Hit snooze at least once. Some people warn against this but I always set my alarm 15 minutes earlier than I need to be up so I can have the luxury of hitting snooze – there’s no way I can spring out of bed after the first ring! Another version of me would get up and have a half hour to myself to drink tea and read in the sunshine before going to work but this is not reality. I’d way rather have that extra half hour to sleep.
- Boil the kettle, drink water
- Eat breakfast that I prepare night before
- Listen to a podcast, read news, or Instagram on commute.
What’s your morning routine? How does it change from weekday to weekend? Do you follow any tips to help you stick to a schedule?